Monday, February 20, 2012

Reasons

Recently I've realized that one of my favorite ways to get information about new products and ideas is to read a blog on the subject. It's such an easy way to find an expert opinion on whatever it is that you are interested in. I realized that there are several music blogs that I love reading, but that there are very few that deal with teaching private lessons and even fewer that deal with the oboe.  What to do when you can't find what you are looking for on the internet? Write it yourself!

I'm a fairly young teacher; I only started about three years ago!  I have a degree in Oboe Performance from East Carolina University, where I studied with Bo Newsome. My mom and my husband are both band directors, so I have some pretty incredible resources when I have questions, but even still sometimes there are questions where I have to find my own way. I really want this blog to be a resource for new private teachers so that when you get out of school it isn't quite so daunting to begin your own studio. I want to share the things that I do that are successful, and let you know when I try something that completely bombs. Teaching is definitely a learning experience, and I want to share what I learn.

I also want this to be a place where young musicians can find new ideas about practicing, performance anxiety, auditioning, and the many challenges that learning an instrument can bring. I also want it to be a place where young oboists who may or may not have access to a teacher can find help with the particular trials of learning how to play their instrument.

Since I've been teaching privately I've seen a really wide range of parental knowledge on the study of music. Some parents know next to nothing, and others have a vast store of knowledge, but I haven't met one yet that wasn't interested in what their child was doing. A lot of the time parents wish to be involved but have no idea how to become part of their child's music education. I want to help bring parents to the table in the music lesson, so that teacher, student and parents can have the most beneficial relationship possible

I can't wait to really get started with this project. You'll see regular posts from me as well as guest posts from my students, their parents and my colleagues. I want this to have the feel of an open forum, so please feel free to let me know if there are any issues or questions you want me to discuss. See you soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...